NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

[nycphp-talk] [JOB] PT Junior Developer, Manhattan

CHUN-YIU LAM chun_lam at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 10 23:52:40 EST 2002

This story remind me of me ;-)

----Original Message Follows----
From: max goldberg <max at idsociety.com>
To: NYPHP Talk <talk at nyphp.org>
Subject: Re: [nycphp-talk] [JOB] PT Junior Developer, Manhattan
Date: Mon,  9 Dec 2002 14:02:46 -0500

Well I think you said what I was trying to say a bit better.
I'm not really hard on people for using a " on a static string
rather than a ', but I would like to know they actually know
the difference in how they are parsed. I just feel like more senior
developers do write better code, not only does it work, but it takes
into account a great deal of future expansion, it is usually well
documented and there is usually a lot of good forethought put into it.

A long while ago at a job I was forced into a bunch of standards by the
lead developer, which at the time I hated. I didn't see any use for them
until I got a new job, and was forced to fix an amazing amount of really
unorganized hacks. At this point I fully understood the need for fully
commented, peer evaluated code that fit a style guide. Also at this job
the lead developer ignored a good amount of my questions, causing me to
seek out the answer on my own, via documentation or trial and error.

I think it helped me greatly. I wish some of the people I worked with
had the initiative to teach themselves some things without needing to
have someone walk them through the most basic parse errors.

I don't think that document has many uses from a professional
standpoint, but I did understand his frustration and I did find the
humor in it, regardless of if I agree with all of his points. =)

-max