NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

[nycphp-talk] Oh... Interviewing

mikesz at qualityadvantages.com mikesz at qualityadvantages.com
Sat Jul 21 00:20:48 EDT 2007

CED wrote:

>Mike,
>
>I received your first off-color flame, and am wondering if you read my email
>in its entirety, I by no means would 'pop-quiz' a candidate. If you just
>read the questions and are assuming that it was 'SURPRISE!', it explains
>alot. But if not, I'd ask you to justify your comments and character
>assaults.
>
>-Edward

Sorry Edward if I misinterpreted your email and characterized you
incorrectly as a bad guy BUT nowhere in the description of what you said
went down did you say anywhere that you informed the candidate
beforehand of the test requirement, though you did list it as something
that "ought to be done". I perhaps assumed that was an "after the fact"
observation of the failed interview.

My apologies if I misinterpreted your meaning.

Personally, I have done hundreds of interviews over the years and as I
have stated, been on both sides of the table. I am very confident that
you can get a really GOOD feeling and a lot of information from a
candidate by having them go over the details of a recent project that
they have successfully deployed. It is an excellent opportunity to ask
very specific details about their skill level and experience.

kindest regards, mikesz