NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

[nycphp-talk] Why IT Sucks

Kristina Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Wed Apr 16 20:48:06 EDT 2008

Tom, like a lot of the folks on this list, I'm a PHP programmer
developing internet applications (coding forms, building MySQL
databases, meeting with clients to determine requirements, etc. etc.).
I've been doing this (in different languages and platforms) for 10
years and in PHP for the past 2 years (and love PHP!).  I do this for a
living because I like doing it, I'd probably be better off in
retirement if I went to law school in the near future but I don't want
to do this.  I want to be a programmer.  I just want to get paid what
my skills are WORTH as a programmer.

I'd love to charge my clients more.  And I've recently gotten wise to
opportunities where clients are able to offer me part ownership of
startups in addition to hourly consulting rates.  But...I do think that
clients price things out and give bids to people who charge reasonable
rates.  There is a reason I get 90% of the projects I bid on.  If I
asked for $100 an hour, that would be great, but $100 an hour for 0
hours is, well....zero dollars.

As a self employed person I'd love to hear any real, usable suggestions
on how to increase income.  My network is great and I have tons of
projects going, business is growing every day as I meet new
people...but the market does price at a certain level and if I start
asking for more than people can afford, or more than others with my
same skills are getting paid...I am not going to get hired.

Your libertarian jawflap about how Social Security is  "hurting us" (I
disagree) and how the market is totally open for me to charge whatever
I want are well...interesting theory and pretty typical politics for a
certain segment of the IT industry...but.  And saying I "look to
others" to "solve my problems" is beyond a low blow, it's just too
stupid a remark to even rebut.

Thanks,

Kristina